Wordcrafters seeks short writing from local writers, reflecting on life in Eugene–past, present, or future!
We’re excited to partner with the City of Eugene to celebrate the work of local writers. Throughout 2017, we will run writing contests to find work for the new generation of the Step Into… series, an exhibit of short writing pieces displayed in downtown parking garages. Throughout the year, we will hold month-long calls for writing in four different genres:
- April 2017: Step Into Poetry
- June 2017: Step Into Comics
- July 2017: Step Into Stories
- September 2017: Step Into Theater
Selected work will be exhibited in the Overpark Garage (Oak St btw B’way & 10th), the Parkade garage (Willamette btw 7th & 8th), and the Eugene Public Library garage. You can see the first generation of exhibits still hanging in Overpark.
Call for Submissions
Deadline: May 5, 2017
All writers are welcome–published, unpublished, professional, amateur, any age! Want a chance to workshop your poem before you submit it? Come to our free poetry workshop:
Step Into Poetry Workshop
Monday April 17, 5:30pm – 7:30pm
Springfield Public Library
225 5th Street, Springfield, OR
- Poetry must celebrate or reflect on life in Eugene–past, present, or future.
- Poetry can be any style or form, as long as it’s family-friendly and can be easily printed on a sign.
- Poems must be original works, previously unpublished.
- Poems must be no longer than 150 words and/or 20 lines. They can be complete pieces or stand-alone excerpts from longer pieces.
- Limit 3 entries per person
- Submit your work using the form below
- Please fill out all required information
- Write/paste your poem into the text box OR upload a document
- If you are uploading a document:
- It must be a .doc, .docx, or .pdf
- Your poem must be formatted in 12-point Times New Roman font
- Please fill out the complete form for each submission.
- All submissions will be blind-read by a community judging panel, which will include other local writers, poetry readers, and community members.
- Submitted poems will be judged by whether they reflect life in Eugene and on execution of poetic craft.
- If your poem is chosen, we will contact you during the week of May 22.
If your poem is selected:
- Your work will be printed by the City of Eugene on a large-format sign (approximately 3′ x 4′) and exhibited in the Step Into Poetry stairwell of the Overpark Garage on Oak Street (between 10th & Broadway). We will provide you with a proof of the sign before printing, so that you can check spacing, lay-out, etc.
- In addition to leaving your literary stamp on Eugene, you will receive a $50 stipend.
- We will work with you to make a recording of you (or a proxy of your selection) reading your work. People viewing the sign in the Overpark will be able to scan a QR code on the sign to hear the recording!
- You will have the opportunity to also publish your poem in a potential coffee-table book that the City is planning, called The Art of Parking. Proceeds from this book will all be donated to downtown causes.
- We will ask you to sign a contract granting regional first publication rights to the City of Eugene, for the purposes of the sign and the potential coffee-table book. You retain all other rights to your poetry.